For the salmon:
1.25 kg tail piece of salmon, cut into 2 halves and filleted (skin left on)
100g coarse sea salt
100g golden caster sugar
2 tbsp Bart Aromatic Thai spice blend
grated zest of 1 lime
For the mango and cucumber relish:
1 large mango, peeled and cut into small cubes
1⁄4 cucumber, de-seeded and cut into small cubes
1⁄2 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
3 spring onions, finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
1 tsp Bart Thai Fish Sauce
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
– Check the salmon carefully for bones by running your fingers along the flesh. Pull out the bones using a pair of tweezers.
– In a bowl, mix together the salt, sugar and Aromatic Thai spice blend. Rub half of the mixture into the salmon flesh. Line a dish, big enough to hold the salmon, with a double layer of foil.
– Put one of the pieces of salmon skin side down on the foil. Spread the other half of the spice mixture over the flesh and put the other piece of salmon, skin side up, on top. Pull up the foil to cover the fish and place a board and some weights on top. Leave in the fridge to cure, for 2-4 days, turning every so often. Liquid will seep out and can be poured off.
– One hour before serving, make the mango relish. In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients then set aside.
– Remove the foil from the fish and scrape the cure off the fish. To serve, slice thinly across the grain, as you would smoked salmon. Serve with the relish.
Share this recipe: